Monday, April 30, 2007

4/30 - GATOR HUNTIN'







DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU CLICK ON THE PHOTOS, THEY WILL OPEN IN A LARGER SIZE?
I DIDN'T TILL ACCIDENTALLY, RIGHT CLICKED ON ONE A WEEK AGO.

As you can see....I started out "counting" them, holding my fingers up. But that didn't work. Actually I got the first three fish on my first three drifts of my Float-rig.

I had 2 - 19" to 20" Trout in the box, then the third fish was a 5 pounder. Then I caught a Spanish Mackerel and a Ladyfish, and then in the next hour and a half I had 5 more, 5 pounder G-A-T-O-R-S!

The wind (sea-breeze to be very technical) started honkin' so bad I could almost not fish anymore, but I waited it out. And the wind would subside a little and I'd catch another one. So, what's a TROUT FREAK gonna do? Keep at it, of course. I actually needed not 5 pounders, but rather smaller fish for the box.

So after 8 mega-nice Trout I started pitching a jig-n-shrimp. Hooked up two super sweet sized Flounder, and both got off at the side of the boat. So I went to a curly tailed plastic on the jig real fast and pitched along side the boat right where i lost one of the Flounder and hooked it up again....."Ahh, you bastard are gonna meet Mr. Trout, in the fish box", I thought. But damned if that one didn't get off too! Dammit! I know why, because all the flounder I hooked wewre in NO CURRENT, and they just snapped at it, and didn't engulf the bait. I heavy current it would be a different story.

Earlier in the day, as I waited for the tide to drop. I found a new spot. Boulders all over the bottom from 10-18 feet, dropping off to deep water. Another possible Trout hang-out. So as i looked around I pitched a Jig-n-curly-tail, I hooked up a Flattie immediately. So as I reeled it to the boat, I looked up and saw two Sheepshead tailing, around a rock in a foot or so of water...Cool...but it wasn't meant to be because when I looked down again at my Flounder. It also got off the hook.

I just wasn't my day to catch 4 nice Flounder, I guess. But that's okay. I know where the Trout are.

A Trout Tracker, that's what ya have to be. These are all big fat "roe" Trout too. It's spawning time. And if all goes well and I actually get someone who picks a day for a charter when the tides right, they may get the chance to catch fish like these pictures. But, the likely-hood is slim to none..."and slim left town".

People from other parts just do not get it. Thats why they hire me I thought. I had three calls today. And 3 yesterday. Everyone wants the best day, but do not get that it's all about the tide. I just do my best with the day they give me. If they want a GREAT DAY........PLAN instead of just showing up hilly-nilly. I have a phone, a blog, e-mail, a web site with alot of info, that many do not even want to look at and read. I hand out pearls full of info, and just do the best I can, with the cards I'm dealt.

So that's why I go and mess'em up all by myself. Because I can.