Friday, October 19, 2007

10/19 - We ended up really WET.

I took John and Dennis today. First off we went to the inlet, for some string stretching' Redbass. It didn't take long for my big mullet chunks to be sniffed out by those "noses with fins and a tail".

But before we threw out the first line, I just had to try and find out, "what is all that carpeting the bottom of the ocean". Remember, I thought they were Pogies in a recent report two days ago??

Well, if they were I probably would have caught some. Because I didn't, and it had me very curious. I threw my net dead on the schools of fish that were huggy the bottom, several times. But came in with an empty cast net. Usually when I put the A-Scope feature on my bottom machine and zoom in real good. I can cast my net dead-on what ever is right under the boat.

And the only thing I came up with was one small lil' Threadfin Herring, aka: "greenies".

Hmmm, is that what is carpeting the bottom out there......Redfish Candy???

So with a tight time line, with the falling tide running out quickly, I baited up one rod with the mini Greenie, and another with a big chunk of Mullet. The Greenie didn't last long at all, and was eaten up right away by a small Blacktip shark. Thank goodness those sharks are not the monster ones that do the arial spinning job on ya. Because I'd really be spending a lot of time re-rigging, not like I'm not doing that 1/2 the time anyhow. But there should be some of those big Sharks around, chasing these spawning Redbass out on the sand. I suppose the small sharks haven't earned their wings yet....they all stay water bound when reeling them in.
I guess since Greenies are fast and not seemingly as stupid and slow as Pogies, I'll have to take the "bait rod" out there with me and jig up some, since the cast net seems futile. Or what the heck just use the cut mullet that really seem to work just as good.


Dennis was on deck, and soon realized, this ain't no small shark! This time as the rod bowed in the shape of a horse shoe, and the circle hook grabbed tight.
I don't get on a soap box about quality tackle making fishing easier and with less headaches as I see other fishing guides do, but when your exited as I am about how good somethings work, you can excuse it a time or two. If you are looking for the Most Top Quality in "smallest reels" that can handle Big Reds, Tarpon, and even sharks, King Mackerel, and probably some bottom fish offshore. I'd HIGHLY reccomend ACCURATE twin Drag reels. In these photo's you can see how big these reels are. Not Very! It's a B-197 Accurate twin drag. Smaller than a Garcia Ambassador 6500, with 300 yard capacity of 50 pound Braided line. BUT...with twin drags. One on each side of the spool, like a brake caliper. They are lever drags on all Accurates. And this tiny reel can drop 20 to 30 pounds of drag pressure on a fish in a single throw of the lever! And do not be mistaken, no other reel made has a "twin drag". The tiny, light weight champion of reels can pack some serious punch. Operate flawlessly with silky smooth operation, year after year. I have owned mine for more than 5 years now and would not trade them for anything else. I have done zero maintenance on them, either. I like aluminum things that are bullet proof, and these reels are like my boat in many aspects. So they fit my style. Machined aluminum, and stainless steel through out. And with multitudes of stainless steel bearings, they cast like rockets and will make your thumb smoke, if your not careful on long high speed casts! Not comparable to any Shimano, Avet, or Penn. Huge amounts of fish-ability in a tiny little package, that kick fish ass. For all inshore species, including the big ones at the jetties. These Lil reels work. I have larger ones, one or two sizes bigger. And do not prefer them, over the versatile smaller ones. Go to: http://www.accuratefishing.com/ - or click on my Pro Staff site links on the upper side bar of this page. And look at what they have to offer if you're in the market for small reels for big fish with a flawless drag system. And tell 'em Capt Dave sent ya. Accurate is a great company and with exceptional products. Locally available at Strike Zone, ask Dave and he'll order them for ya.

You don't see many if any other inshore or offshore charter fishing boats around here using as fine as tackle as I do with my clients. I want them using the best I can obtain, period!


Back to fishin'.....we worked on some more Redfish, and shark bites. And even had a Chinese fire drill around the anchor line with one fish. And these fresh water fisherman, had a new found respect for Brutus T. Redbass!










And best of all, there was not a single other boat out there where we were fishing. We had the whole Ocean to ourselves. I think it was Dennis who said, "where are all the other boats, on a Friday?" I said, "it may actually be that time of year that not everyone is working a 4 day week."

But that all changed when we ran up into the
river to do some Float-rig fishing.
Holy Moly, there was boats all over the Croaker
holes. At the tip of Blount Island alone there
had to be 15 boats all anchored up.

But as we all know.......or do we? Fish don't attract boats, boats attract boats. Or at least that's how some people operate. Personally, I don't like any boats, anywhere near me....I enjoy complete solitude.
Unfortunately, I arrived on my spot and the falling tide was about dead. But as we sat there, it didn't seem to matter. Dennis and John hooked up on monster Croakers, Trout, Flounder and of course some Mangrove snappers and juvenile Grouper. The only part I don't like about "not" having enough current is having to do a crash course in "bait casting" with folks that have only used spinning reels their whole lives. But we worked thru that quickly. Spinning reels and Float-rigging is like oil and water, in my book.
We were busy enough. I got just one shot of our inshore/river fishing. I should have taken a few pics of the other fish, too.
We ended up moving and experimenting at
a spot that I know has some great pup Drum on
it as the tide pushes in and readily bite a shrimp on the float rigs. But the wind had picked up to a steady aggravating gale as dark clouds filled with rain headed our way. So after three leaping Ladyfish with only one making it to the boat. I made the decision that we better "beat feet" outa here, before we get hammered. So we took off to the ramp. Only to head right into a heavy rain storm that drenched us to the bone as everyone else too was heading to the dock.
It was a fun day, and every thing worked out great except the getting seriously wet and the blown around part.
Recent catch page from today: http://www.captdaves.com/Catch8.htm