Monday, March 17, 2008

3/17 - Can someone tell me what's going on?

I say, can someone tell what's going on because I go all month pick and poke a few charters here and there and then Monday 17th thru Friday the 21st I'm booked every day and to top it off it's the worst weather week of the entire month.
----------------------------------------------
SMALL CRAFT EXERCISE CAUTION:
(I'll highlight the not good, in yellow)

*TONIGHT EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

*TUESDAY SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

*WEDNESDAY SOUTHWEST WINDS 20 KNOTS...SHIFTING WEST. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

*THURSDAY NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

*FRIDAY EAST WINDS 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.
------------------------------------------------------------
Well, we sat through some seriously heinous wind today, let me tell ya. If you think the wind was bad walking outside at the office at lunch time on the west side of town, I don't have to tell you what I was encountering outside of my office!!

Had three Joe Rudy and his dad and uncle on the boat today. They were good sports. Of course I left out early, because that's when you'd think the wind would be the slowest. No not really, it was windy right off the bat.

We tried it all, float-rig fishing, bottom fishing, and that new sport.
attempting to get the anchor hung. It's a game I played problem over a dozen times at various places.

Remember this, due West winds and due East winds "OVER" 15 knots is pure hell in the St. Johns river. Especially if you're fishing in and around Mayport. Because the river runs West to East. So on those two wind directions, there's no place to hide.

Oh, your probably wondering about the fishing???????

Let's see;
1- Bluefish on a float-rig at too high of tide.
2- Pinfish
8 or 10 - small Yellowmouth Trout
10 - 3" Seabass
1- Skate

Ahhh, just a killer day. Makes me want to pinch myself when I get to sit at the jetties on a beautiful day, catching Reds and Sheepshead or a Drum bottom fishing on the falling tide, then move and get limits of Trout on the incoming tide, with just a solo customer.
(see perfect day here: http://captdaves.blogspot.com/2008/03/312-fishing-with-don.html )

And the cool thing as you can see by the wind speed and direction, I get to do the same thing the rest of the week....or at least I hope not.

I get a real chuckle when when all is going right and someone on my boat says, "Damn, Capt Dave, this must be so great. You get to fish all the time, be out here on the water, catching fish....."

I usually respond with a famous line from the movie "SOMETHING ABOUT MARY". When the character Whoogy, played by Chris Elliott says to Ben Stiller,"Each day is worse then the next".

Confusing reply, huh? That makes no sense at all, right? Kinda like the statement/question that I was just asked.

Have not a clue what Tuesday will bring. But right now it's 7:15 pm on Monday. And the wind is still blowing very hard at my house. Over 20 knots!

Here's another helpful business clue: If ya wanna make a million dollars in the fishing business, first start with 2 million.

OVER & OUT!