Tuesday, June 1, 2010

5/31 - WIND...that just wouldn't back off.

Had Bill W. and his wife out on Memorial Day. Which there was twice the boats out there then on Sunday, Wonder why? At least on Sunday the S.E. blowing winds backed off a bit around 10am. Today at 10:00am the wind was at maxi-strength, and continued all day long. Not just gusts, but full bore sustained 20 knots.
(and remember if it has "east" in the name, it's "not" good, in any way.)

We departed around 8:00am. And of course, I knew my big plan was definitely OUT. So before departing the dock, I was already on to plan "W". But we headed to the jetties any how. On the way out towards the tip, we ran into a pack of Dolphins taking advantage of a school of Mullet in the middle of the river. We drifted around, watching them pick off the 10" Mullet like they were fun size Snickers bars off the surface of the water. I always tell people, Sharks get so much press of being such "bad boys" of the Ocean. When in my opinion, if I was fish swimming around, I think I'd be more worried about Dolphins, instead. They can eat, and do just about anything they want. But, I guess the big thing is....they don't eat people. So that doesn't make for good TV. 

There was no way in all hell, that we could have fished anywhere near the tips of the jetties. And heading out to go look for some Pogies just didn't seem to make sense when I had a livewell full of sprightly river crickets.
So, I did my best to try and find a fishable spot out along the rocks. But the wakes, ships, other boats and the wind and current, had my anchor slipping constantly. As I tried to back into close to the jetty rocks.

We got a little float-rig fishing accomplished. With only a few bait-stealer bites. So I decided to head on into the river, and down the ICW. It wasn't a better attempt to get away from the wind. Add in the traffic that was out in their boats, and the lack of any bites. It was time to go look back at the big rocks, again. Looked to me, like droves of people heading to Ft. George for the Memorial day party up there.

Back at the jetties....about the only place that I'd have any confidence in when it comes to getting a big fish. So as the tide got really high, we mixed float-rig fishing with some plain ole "bait-n-wait", but the wait didn't take long.

I made a pitch over to the rocks and before I could had Bill the rod I felt bump, bump. I handed Bill the rod and went for the net. And up pops a really nice Flounder.















Not bad, at all. A good eater size. On a live shrimp, on the bottom. With two lines out the back, I made another pitch to the rocks. And again it no sooner hit the bottom and the rod was about snatched out my hand. Bill grabbed the rod, and was into a serious fight.

 















It was a over-sized Redbass, that measured out to 30 inches. After the release, we got a few more bites, and lots of sinkers caught in the rocks and lost rigs. Oh, how I love float-rig fishing! When popping off one rig after another. But between the anchor slipping and us heading for the granite every few minutes, the wind, and the wakes. It made it hard to keep a float drifting down the rocks. But we caught a few, Jack Cravalle, and those ravenous Seabass. Fishing both the float and on the bottom.

Overall, the jetties saved the day once again. It was one tough day, for sure. After bidding farewell to Bill and his wife. The Sherriffs Marine division guys came walking down the dock. They came straight to me of course. Had to check out my boat. I joked with them about their little 18' Boston Whaler's, comparing it to having big plate alloy. They said, "so...could ya catch anything  in this wind today?"  I replied, "not a whole lot, but thanks to the jetties we caught a few and one big one, at least."

Now.....everyone is going back to work! And the river will be calm again this week. I'll be back out on Wednesday and Thursday. I hear Thursday mybe really interesting, as I'll have two Russians aboard out of three, that don't speak any English. What's the odds of that happening twice? Obviously, pretty good. Because, I had three Russians out many moons ago, and one out of three barely spoke, English. I told Viktor, who booked the trip. "I hope you can interpret, really good!"