Saturday, March 19, 2011

3/18 - THE SUPER MOON!

Mother Nature is one hell of a mysterious thing, that's for sure.

Now, I don't get to go out every charter and do exactly what "I'd" want to do. Sometimes I have to do what my folks can do. I get kids, I get little kids. I get a packed boat with 4 passengers that never fished before. So each day, is a challenge. I don't pick the days we go, either. And if I did we'd never leave the dock when it's "Small Craft Advisories", either. But if I did pick the days, and if I could pick my crew. I'd pick today. And I'd pick Kyle, Ben and Brandon. The three guys I had aboard, today.

Well, as a life long angler, I know everything out there reaches it's tipping point. For the good, and for the bad. And I had a feeling this FULL MOON, was gonna be a good thing. And today, it was! The Trout fishing has to kick off good some day in March and the full moon, should be when.

A week ago, I fished the same exact spots we fished today, with either no bites, fished bad conditions, or just had a few small trout to show for a all day try.

The tide was 6 feet at high tide......2 feet over normal. And high was at 9:04am. So we actually departed for the first time so far this year with the running lights on, in the dark. TIME was of the essence.

Fished a total of just three spots and had 18 Trout to 19", a mix of Specks and Yellowmouths. And 10 Redbass from 16" to 29".

The fish box looking good after only the first hour or so on the first spot:























We had a great time today. Despite the "SUPER MOON". Ya' know you can always count on me to be very in tune with the moons, because there's hardly a New or Full moon that someone doesn't call to fish on.

Super Moon is a term used to describe how large or how close the moon is to Earth and on Saturday, March 19, 2011, the full moon is going to be the larger than usual. The moon sometimes gets closer to Earth than at other times, this causes the moon to appear much larger.


There is a conspiracy theory brewing in that the Super Moons are related to the massive earthquakes and tsunamis. This however has not been proven. The moon is however shown to cause increased tides on a full moon because of gravitational pull.

The full moon on March 19, 2011 will be the closest it has been to Earth since 1992. When the Moon is closest to Earth it is said to be at its perigee. When it is at the farthest distance from Earth it is at its apogee.

The effects of a Super moon can be subtle providing more light and a slightly larger size. Still, it would be worth a look outside tonight to see the Super moon. The next time there is a Supermoon will be on November 14, 2016.

I don't care if it's the super Moon or what. I'm just glad to see my Speckly friends chewin'. And I hope to continue boxing them from here on out...or till it's 105 degrees in the shade come July.