Friday, January 13, 2012

1/13 - WINTER, ramblings

IS TODAY BEAUTIFUL OR WHAT? CLEAR, CRISP, AND SUNNY. AND AFTER THE FULL MOON AND I BET THEY WERE CHEWIN TODAY. SO WHY ARE YOU MISSING IT?

As of yesterday, I've had a total of no less than 6 inquiries for Saturday the 14th.

SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHTWEST WINDS 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3
FEET. INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.


SUNDAYNORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INLAND
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP


Looks to me like Sunday is the better day, any how.

Don't know what the deal is, but I guess I should be happy that I received the inquiries.  I suppose this is considered a "holiday" weekend, one caller said they were off work on Monday. I had to look it up, and yep it's MLK day.

Fuel costs have recently risen .30 cents in just a week or so here in J-ville. I guess we can blame the Iranians? But you sure can't tell by the huge amounts of traffic still on the road ways. We'll equal out with Europe some day, and settle into $7.00-$8.00 a gallon. And then of course fishing charter's that were $400 a day will naturally be $800 a day, by then.

In some places in the south, a day on an inshore boat with 3-4 people doing the same thing I do, is $700-$750 already.....Wow! That's what you'll pay for what they call a "drive-up charter", meaning no advanced reservations.
But that's of course near more "toursity" areas.

Please think ahead and do as far in advance reservations as possible, it's appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY OBSESSION WITH FLOATS...AND ONES THAT "POP".

I built possibly the loadest popping corks you can find yesterday. Never satisfied, again...."it's what I do."
Tackle, boats, trucks, floats, that's my interest. And I'm obsessed with building the best shallow water popping cork I can.

I want cast-ability, and not only a popping sound, but a clicking sound. And I even went for a rattling sound too!  Through my many hours of research, it seems the darker more murky the waters are, the better off you'll be with a really loud popping float.

We have it all here;  Incessant wake, wave noise. Vessel noise, and dark murky water, especially in the river.

For reallly big Reds and Trout, I made these popping floats extra heavy duty. The only problem is will the "components" take it.

I'll of course post a video or some photos after they catch some fish.

CHECK OUT THIS "HOOKED-UP" TROUT PHOTO. Perfect timing, huh? I didn't take it, I just found it.

"POP, POP, WHACK!"