Saturday, December 22, 2012

12/22 - LIMITS FOR FIVE!

ABSOLUTELY NO DAY ON THE ST. JOHNS RIVER IS EVER THE SAME AS THE NEXT. With that said, everyone thinks it is, and hopes I can predict exactly what, when and how we'll catch our fish.

I can answer the WHEN & HOW:

- when you book your day
- how, 80% of the time is by "float-rig" fishing.

Last day I was out, was just a few days ago and if you read that report you may have got the notion that I hate it when the Bluefish are eating our perfect live shrimp.

Today, I had a group hosted by Moe Martin. The Swisher group, as I referred to them. I pulled into the boat ramp and didn't even put the boat in the water yet.

Reasoning, that because it was blowing 20 knots and gusting even more. And really cold. I didn't want to go through "dipping the boat", and then have them say, "FORGET THIS!". I'm always thinking ahead. For me it didn't matter either way. I could go another day, or today.

So as they arrived we had a pow-wow in the parking lot. Everyone "seemed" to be dressed right. I know I was! I actually have such great pair of Grunden foul weather pants that I had my shorts on under them, and I was perfectly fine all morning.

I was wanting the tide to fall for awhile before we went float-rig fishing. So we anchored up and bottom fished. And surprisingly enough. Even though I couldn't stay anchored very well, we boxed six Yellowmouth Trout. Okay, not great, but something.......
But one thing that really caught me by surprise was how fast the west winds blew the tide on out. So by the time I wanted to float-rig fish for Specks. Where I wanted to try it, there was no current!
 
Hmmm, I guess it was time to think fast and try another spot. And when I got to the next spot, there wasn't any current there either.
 
But we anchored up and gave it a try. And it wasn't but maybe 15 minutes, the tide started to push. The guys flipped out a few Floats with live shrimp that were plenty cold and not all that sprightly. And they both hooked up.
DOUBLE-HEADER, right off the get-go!
 
The Trout were shorts, but that was just the start of what was a GREAT day. And, only 2 Bluefish. Which was even better.
 
From here on out the Trout got larger, and we even had many "double-headers". As the tide pushed, the better and better the fish chewed.
 
Here's the happy Crew.
 

Double-headers!
 

15-19 inch Trout were filling the box.
 

Everyone was catching
This fella had no less than 3 from 20 to 23 inchers
More Double-headers
Over flowing fish basket full of limits for 5 people.
The Crew, and the pile of over 30 Trout!
W-O-W, what a day. A fantastic crew....no fishing guide out there could ask for any better of a day. That was blistering cold and blowing 20 kts plus. My crew was cold.
 
But they never ever wavered.
 
"JUST BECAUSE IT'S COLD AND WINDY. THAT DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN, THAT IT'S GOING TO BE A FISHLESS DAY, ESPECIALLY NOT IN THE WINTER MONTHS.
 
FLOAT-RIGGING PRODUCES FISH, SO WHEN DAYS ARE LEAN, IT'S BECAUSE THEY JUST AREN'T BITING, I KNOW THAT TO BE DEAD ON TRUE, AFTER CHARTER FISHING FOR OVER 16 YEARS .
 
SO WHEN PEOPLE CALL AND ASK ME WHAT THEY'LL BE DOING. THEY REALLY NEED TO VISIT THIS FISHING REPORTS BLOG. OR THEY JUST WON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THE DAY WILL AND COULD BE LIKE."