Sunday, November 9, 2014

10/8-9 From SLOP city, to just a plain Good Time!

Well, Saturday was a complete soup sandwich at the Jetties. The morning high tide  had the jetties all churned up. I attempted to float-rig fish with Dan & his mom Sharon. But could could hardly keep the anchor stuck in the south jetty. Everyone was having problems with tripping anchors.

Plus, Dan & Sharon had no casting experience. So all we could do is just have the floats drift off the back of the boat, as the wind blew them out off the rocks rather than down the rocks. They had a few bites but mostly Mangrove Snapper "bite off's".

It was a day that I'd be pressing my skills into order. So with limited fishing skills, it was tough for them. And a dead calm morning with some good tide would be needed.

We all that re-anchoring I'd had enough. So we went up in the river. But dead high tide again was a real challenge. But we caught some small fish, and Dan caught a decent Speckled trout bottom fishing in 30 feet of water with a live shrimp.

I needed a falling tide and bad. And it seemed like forever before it did.

So we went back to the Jetties and bottom fished. Keeping it real simple. By now the inside of the jetties were much calmer. They had all kinds of Sheepshead bites, along with "still" all the bait stealers that are out there. But they couldn't connect. In between constant hook tying, because there was so "snag" right behind the boat........but the snag held Sheephead.

I caught, 2 back to back. The bite even on the falling tide with the Sheepshead was oh so light! Not the kind of bites ya wanna cut your teeth on when fishing the Jetties for the first time.

----------------------------------------------------

Sunday, I had the Furr family from California. 4 people, so we left out at 8am for a high tide at 10am.
Not great......loads of Stinger rays, Seabass, Pinnerfish, Pufferfish and basically alot of shrimp used to just catch those.

No big bites at all............again, needed a falling tide. But Kathy (mom) asked about just seeing some of the river. So we took a ride up river. I showed them the real estate and gave them the low down on the areas I fish.

Then came the falling tide, and it was bite after bite, fish after fish where I decided to give it another try. Good call on my part.

ACTION, yeah we had it, with Croakers, Yellowmouth Trout, Mangrove Snappers, Whiting and Sheepshead.

The action was so fast that all I did was walk circles around the boat taking fish off and handing out more shrimp for bait.




















We just had a super fun day catching......yep, just catching! It would have been great to hook into a 30 pound Redbass. But, it just didn't happen today. But the cooler was full of fish when we came back and I cleaned up a few bags of fillets.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Supposedly, I was going to be out again on Monday morning. Trying my best to get Mitch, a local guy out to the jetties for none other than a day of "FLOAT-RG FISHING".  That's my plan.

This day is a reschedule from back in May when my Honda died and I had to go get the new Suzuki.
And now we're rescheduling again!!!!

I don't want to struggle to float-rig the jetties like I did on Saturday. Because I'd also like to make a video of it.

  SMALL CRAFT EXERCISE CAUTION

TONIGHT
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS THIS EVENING...INCREASING TO
15 TO 20 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS UP
TO 6 FEET. INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE
EVENING...THEN SCATTERED SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

MONDAY
NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL
SEAS UP TO 6 FEET. INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED
AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS.

Anything over 15 knots......NOT GOOD!