Friday, November 21, 2014

11/21 - MORE..... Ole Yellers on the SLAB

Left out about noon, just to make sure the "slab fishing".....see video in post below this one.
Because there's an ole saying I go by.

"One day full of fish can be, just luck, two days full of fish means; ya know what you're doing" 

So, I had to go see if catching fish on the SLAB yesterday, just wasn't luck.

OH...(after watching the video ) ya probably are wondering what the hell is the SLAB??
Well, here it is.....
It's a plated lead lure with a unique shape that makes it waggle and wobble. It weights in at 1 oz. and I can add on my own "small" hook of choice and style. I use a 1/0 Siwash open end hook, that I just "put on" the SLAB.

Is it a lure, or a bait presenter?  It's both!!  And the reason is just that. It can be jigged, wobbled, and  unlike a "jighead", can impart action to a bait.

But the funny thing is I haven't even used it with bait YET! (IE: Shrimp)

I've been using FISHBITES synthetic bait, just to add SMELL to my wiggling , wobbling SLAB. While jigging it in deep water.

A piece of cut belly strip of a croaker, whiting or whatever would work the same.

Why, does it just catch Weakfish, or locally known as Yellowmouths?  It doesn't just catch them. It's what was in the area I was fishing.

If the bottom was carpeted with Redfish, Specks, or Flounder, I'm sure it would have caught them, too.

Think of it this way; A  1 ounce jighead is large and usually has a hook way bigger than I'd ever want to use. A jighead doesn't add in any "ACTION", either.

So today I went back out, as I was saying and tried the SLAB all over again. #1 it's fun to use. #2 doesn't hang up all that often, and I can add any hook I want.  

INNOVATOR?  Yes, I am. But these style jigs are not new. Freshwater fisherman have been vertical jigging these for decades. A long time lure called a Bomber Slab jig has been in many a deep lake fisherman's tackle box.

Big difference is, using it here in Bazzaro World, full of monster current......toss the word vertical out of the dictionary. Unless, the tide is completely DEAD! 













































































Today, I filled up the box with at least 12 Yellowmouth Trout, but they were smaller than yesterday.
But for this fish fryer, it really doesn't matter.

Fried in Zaterains, or Louisiana Fish fry mix, deep kettle full of oil on the fish frier, add in a few cold PBR's and I'm set.

JUST ANOTHER TECHNIQUE, THAT I'LL BE EXPLORING, 

ALL BECAUSE THIS COULD WORK IF YOU ARE A EXPERT FISHERMAN OR A ROOKIE. JUST PITCH IT OUT AND JIG IT OFF THE BOTTOM......WITH REAL BAIT, NO BAIT, OR ARTIFICIAL BAIT. 

I'm constantly working to make your fishing charters aboard the Jettywolf better.

(I PREFER TO ADD IN SOME SMELL BECAUSE OF OUR WATER DEPTH, AND COLOR......brown and dark!


WWW.CAPTDAVES.COM
since 1996 your full-time Jacksonville fishing guide.