Friday, May 4, 2007

5/3 - One fine day!




Had Dave C.
aboard today.
And we didn't
leave till noon.
Because when all else fails, FISH THE FALLING TIDE!
That's why. And Dave being an angler himself at home, up north he knew that too.
I had plans to T-rout fish. And go find those Whoppers, I've been getting into last Saturday and Monday. Dave as a "knowing" individual, comes alone and also books his trips well in advance. So I had him on my mind Monday, as I slayed some dragons in the big St. Johns, all by myself.
About the photo's... I cannot risk doing shots of where I was. And Dave isn't into picture taking....and I was glad to get this one shot of our "end of day" fish.
First spot.....wow what a story here. We barely had current. It was the last minutes of the incoming tide. We were talking about how hard it could be pulling a good fish from under a dock and around some pilings, that we were Float Rigging. Dave says, in so many words. This could get exciting if you were to get your ass handed to ya. I responded, that I have never gotten ripped so bad here, that I didn't get the Trout from the dock pilings.
And 2 seconds after I said that........
My float drifts by one piling and then in between two others. MY FLOAT VANISHES.....I SET THE HOOK.....MY 8 FOOT LOOMIS GREENWATER ROD BOWS HARD, THE DRAG PULLS....AND THE MONSTER TROUT RIPS AROUND A PILING........SPLASHES ON SRFACE BEHIND THE PILING........THE FISH PULLS, I FEEL THE LINE SHREDDING ......I CAN'T DO ANYTHING.......AND POP GOES MY 50# BERKELY SUPER BRAID LINE!!!!!!
Hmmm, what was I just saying?????
Then Dave sets the hook, and from between the pilings pulls out the first trout of the day, and decent 17 incher. Mine was big, so now I'm really excited. But we pull anchor and go get my expensive float, and come back. And we get a few more trout.
If they are chewin here, with hardly any current left. That means we are in for "one fine day!"
Because when you're into them with almost no current, you've found the right water to be in this time of year. (that's a Pearl of information, right there)
We only fished 3 spots, but all 3 are in the right area. (and there's a possibility I could find even better areas of the river right now)
Dave is a BLOG reader. He read about my R&D expoits, lately. And he wanted to find some big Trout. So I concentrated my efforts in the area where I've been getting them at different stages of the falling tide.
Early on, we had some 3 pounders, & 2 pounders. But were not keeping other than the first 2 or 3 (because they are good luck fish), any Trout less than 18+ inches. And wanted at least our 2- over 20 inches. My theory is; "A Trout in the hand, is better than 2 still in the water."
So if Dave caught an absolute monster, he'd let me take a photo of him and we'd release it.
But...and there's always one but, isn't there. We didn't get into the 5 plus pounders. Just 4 pounders. The spot where I caught the 5-5 pounders in a row the other day ( and released) was now reading higher salinity levels. It was the full moon, and the tide that may have been a tad higher, and drove saltier water up into the spot. Just a theory besides, them just not visiting it today(?)
But either way, it was a great day. Dave also caught a nice pup Black Drum, I caught a Spanish Mack, he also had some Jacks, Ladies, and small Blues as the tide really went low.
We easily had our 10 keeper Trout and even threw back a lot of fish. Could have had more limits of Trout if we stayed on a particular spot, but we went looking to get the Gators. And I was glad we did, but only came up with 4 pounders.
The wind became a factor as it always does during the middle of the day with the south-east sea breeze, blowing hard and coming straight down the river into our faces as the tide ebbed. But we worked through it as I did on Monday, too.
-----------------
I can't speak for Dave, but i know he had a lot of fun. But as far as I'm concerned. This is some of the finest inshore fishing. A Weekday, solo passenger, just two guys out working a specific area, leaning the techniques, enjoying the river, no long boat rides, no constant snags on the bottom, watching A LOT of the float disappearing under water with all good quality Specks on the hook.
If this really gets ya going, and becomes addictive. YOU'RE A FLOAT FREAK, 100%. If not. That's okay too. But for me, I'd rather be a Master of one, than a jack of all trades, master of NONE. My goal is to do what I love to do, very well. And share what I love to do with others.
-----------------