Thursday, December 27, 2007

12/27 - Where was RED?

Happy to report, my idea of going back to "old School" jetty anchoring, with a 1/2 cinder block worked just fine today. And I got it back each time I retrieved it. And when it held....IT HELD!

I've been called "Captain Gadget" before by friends. Because I always have an eye out for the latest and greatest fishing/boating product improvement. Although, I don't fall for hype, I do give many items such as rods, reels, terminal tackle and yes, even anchors a fair shake and if it works in my world....I usually talk about it. (been there, done that with those Mighty-Mite aluminum anchors. If that's what your thinking....)

That's the reason I even mentioned the folding grapnel hook anchors. The problems I was having with my old jetty anchor in high winds, and basically getting fed up in the long run, in previous posts.

I ended up taking my large chain and looping it through one of the holes in the block. It did drag of course when it wasn't in the rocks. But if I placed it up in the jetty. It held tight.

And as with many days out there, I needed a good hold today. This morning at 8am it was pretty sloppy where I anchored. With the incoming tide pushing hard, a swell breaking on the tops of the jetty, and a serious chop on the surface. It was S.O.P in Dave's world. But it calmed to a tranquil slick sea as the day went on.

I had Bill N. and his two brother-in-laws out with me. I was supposed to have 2 kids and two adults. So when Bill's brother-in-laws walked up to me at the boat ramp. They weren't who I was looking for. I had my eye out for a few kids and dad's.

We soft peddled our way to the inlet, as we talked a bit. I wasn't in a huge hurry, for I know my tides and I didn't have to was incoming and I needed good current and it'll be there on my spot, no worries.

I went over all the details as usual, but was on the big danforth style "fluke" anchor out in the sand. And as I went over the fine art of mending your line, tackle handling, pinning on a live shrimp. I observed that "yes, it's gonna be a cinder block kinda day".

So I changed out the anchors and went to work getting us, Just Right. Remember, I had two new guys to this kinda of fishing, and one that was on top of this game. So positioning and having behind the boat being the "point of origin" in which the float-rig will drift from makes it easier for the new guys.

Bill, scored the first and second as we drifted back on the anchor "block". Two nice Yellowmouths. I had to get used to using a cinder block for an anchor's only been 18 years since I've used one.

Everyone ended up getting bit. We lost some and we caught some, and the cooler was starting to look pretty good. Especially as the nice Specks from 16 to over 20 inches started coming to the net.

The tide was getting really high, and we should start getting bit by a Redfish or two, and it never happened.

I was coaching the guys, they were running right through where they should be. Every thing looked really good. The current was perfect, the position I was in was perfect. The only thing that wasn't perfect, was the size of the shrimp.

They were really small.

I'm always thinking like a good lure angler or even a fly fisherman.....PRESENTATION, PRESENTATION, PRESENTATION!!

And you should be too, unless your just "bait-n-wait" fishing on the bottom. That still is about presentation, but not nearly as crucial. Bottom fishing is more about, LOCATION.

Bill did have a big fish hooked up, probably the big Red we were looking for, but it broke him off in the rocks. (a here's yer sign...It was an ass-hander!) And one his brother-in-laws also lost a bigger fish.

Bill then hooked the largest Speck of the day, and it fought so good I thought it was a small Redfish. I think Bill did too.

I think a congratulatory Beer was opened after that Trout!

The guys caught some more till the current completely faded......but still no Redfish!

So, I headed to a new spot and it was time to do some Jiggin'. I busted out my "meat mover" rods, and tied on fresh 1/2 oz jigs and pinned the tiny shrimp on them. And the first fish was a monster Ring-tailed Porgy. (a true's really winter)

Then it was Bill's turn. I said we were here to catch a damn Redfish, but we could catch a Redfishes UGLY cousin, a Black Drum.

And what does Bill immediately hook-up with? A perfect sized eater, Black Drum. Was Bill the groups "ringer". I think so.

We worked the area hard, pitchin and jigging, till the current again on this spot, went slack.

And not a single Red. Hmm, that's really something. I usually don't mind, because if the Trout are chewing really great and we hook some Reds while working the specks. All is great.

But the Trout had to be worked at to get them too. At least that's the way it seemed, to me while observing /coaching/ anchoring and tying hooks and leaders.

We headed in to clean fish, and we had way more Trout than I thought as I filled a bag with prime boneless, skinless ready to fry fillets.

It was one heck of beautiful day, that's for sure. And it got warm, really fast.

Next up: 12/31 with 2-3 anglers.

No comments: