Wednesday, December 5, 2007

12/5 - Cold, Crisp, Clear, Calm, I love days like this!

Had Don and Joe on board, and had plans to go down in the river for the day, but at the boat ramp changed my mind and went east, again. The lure of the big rocks, the multiple species and the big water. It calls me all winter, and I can't shake it. And that was a good thing, because we caught some nice "multiple species" today. From pup Reds, and Reds too big, Drum perfect sized eaters, big Yellowmouth Trout, Speckled Trout, add in a few Croaka's, Seabass, and Bluefish round out the bait stealer crowd, and one Genuine Red Snapper.........(18 1/2 inches)
AT THE JETTY ROCKS!

I've fished out there for a long time, and have done it all. Jigged, bottom fished, float rigged, lure fished, and caught some uncommon species, like Bonita while casting a spoon, Almaco Jacks on jigs and a pogie, Cobia on jigs and shrimp, Dog Snappers on jigs and shrimp and even Barracuda on top water plugs. Ballyhoo in my cast net, but today was the first time I've ever had anyone catch a Red Snapper at the jetty rocks, on a jig and shrimp.


I heard they are in really close, but man this is close! I thought we had another Drum, but Joe said it was fighting different. And when I went for the net, and looked back into the water, I was shocked when this "chicken" Snapper popped up to the surface.

We had a better tide for jigging than float-rigging, so I set the anchor and the guys had a 28" Redfish and two 22" Black Drum and a 20" Yellowmouth, and a 2 pound Jack Crevalle in the first 20 minutes of being on the spot. Not bad!

I don't get why a Jack is still here, the water temp was a cool 65 degrees.....ain't it time for them to head to Ft. Pierce??

It's my favorite time of year! I could easily give up June, July, August, and September, and go live some where else, and then come back to J-ville for this kind of fishing. On a Cold, Crisp, Clear, Calm winter Day! We fished the spot till the bluefish showed up and drove us outa there. And we lost a few big fish to the rocks, also.


I was very lucky....or more like the fella's were that they knew how to cast a bait casting reel, cause I don't use spinners....I hate them things!

They quickly picked up the jigging technique that isn't all that easy to do, if you've never taken a 3/8th's ounce jighead and bounced it down a set of 10 ton granite boulders covered in all kinds of tackle and marine growth. Feel the "tick, tick" of a bite and then pull a big fish out of there on the literal "fairy wand" GL3 Loomis popping rods I had them using.


We caught Trout after the jetty bite quit on the float-rig, but most were small, and we kinda jig fished right through most of the best part of the falling tide. So we tried a few other spots, but ended up back jigging the rocks, and picked up another over sized Red. Dang...no slots??

Then, the blues showed up again so we went and did some heavier rod, deeper water, swifter current float-rig fishing. Where Don caught a slot Red, exactly 27". And a few more Specks, with one 18 incher for the cooler.

We worked this spot till it just didn't work any longer. And by now, is when the weather forecast
came true. The 15 knots from the west.

The tide was coming in on the bottom and the boat was all over the place, and when I went to move my anchor was caught on another anchor line someone cut off. Ya' know when you really understand the jetties?? It's when you pull up to a spot and tell the folks on board, that there's anchor lines down there, and then what happens.....ya get stuck on one. Hmmmmm... I wonder how I know that?


Been there, done that a few times? Yeah, that's for sure. Just like I have names for certain rocks out there too. There's the Bull Rock, the Prudential Rock, the Flat Rock, and Round Rock, and the Poop Rock.


I just realized, I never took a picture of the Specks that were caught....how could I?

They're "my" fish, and I didn't include them?
How could I!

Overall, it was a good day. It had its trials and tribulations.....some days have none. But that's usually only when I'm alone. But Don and Joe learned a lot, even though Don was a float-rigger from way back. I was pleased when an ole Float-rigger learns a new trick or two. It's one thing I can teach very well, since that's where my passion lies.
Looks like the rest of this week is gonna be okay:

FRIDAY SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INLAND WATERS SMOOTH. AREAS OF EARLY MORNING DENSE FOG WITH VISIBILITY 1NM OR LESS.

SATURDAY EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INLAND WATERS MOSTLY SMOOTH. AREAS OF EARLY MORNING DENSE FOG WITH VISIBILITY 1NM OR LESS.

SATURDAY NIGHT EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INLAND WATERS SMOOTH. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

SUNDAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO3 FEET. INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

MONDAY NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INLAND WATERS MOSTLY SMOOTH. ISOLATED SHOWERS.


Come on, "Lets Go Fishin". A 'private charter' with Capt Dave, makes for a really nice Christmas present for a son, daughter, or the wife. Quality time spent together, in the sea air, is good for the soul, and a fine way to spend time with a family member.