Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summer is for kids....

I do not hardly receive a single inquiry all summer that doesn't include some kids as passengers.
I certainly do not mind, and if the kids are into it, they can really learn something. I enjoy that.

In this business for 12 years, I still don't know what people want. Oops, forget that, yes I do. They want private fishing charters for $100. Well since that will never be the case again. I try my best to figure out what to do, especially when I have kids aboard.

First thing, is what I love as much as anyone, "I.G." . It stands for instantaneous gratification. During the correct season, you've read about when I pull up to a spot, drop anchor and immediately catch a 5 pound Speckled Trout on the first cast. That's I.G.!

Better to be lucky than good, I say. But in all reality it has as much to do with, time of year, time of day, the tide, the area, and bait presentation.

Then there's this time of year, deep summer. Kids off school, and parents looking for fishing charters. Most going with a 1/2 day which is 4 hours. And the kids can range from 5 to 12 years of age.

Number one on the list of what to do is; "how fast can I get these kids into a good sized fish, or into serious action".

Number two is, "will the fishing style take them all day to learn, or is it something I can show everyone on board in a few minutes."

Number three is, "since this time of year means not much notice, I want to not deal with tides or bait stealer's."

And number four is, "keeping travel time to a minimum. Not using and hour and a half of the day to get to where we're fishing, because we don't have that luxury."


We've all heard, "are we there yet, are we there yet........"


Yeah, I know that's a lot of deep thought into "just going fishing", but it's the kind of thoughts that go through my mind not only with the kids, but especially with the kids aboard.

Deep summer as in, RIGHT NOW. It's not the same as November or even April when it comes to the local fishing. But there is plenty to do.

So if you call and have kids that you want to show a good time. Let me take care of it. It's what I do. Be flexible, and go with the flow.