Friday, May 15, 2009

5/15 - Confarction

Ya know, I usually have my phone on from before sun-up till at least 8pm. I give everyone more that 12 hours, normal human hours, to contact me.

P.S. - Do not email on a Friday night, wanting to book a trip for Saturday at 7am.
CALL me instead!

But then again there's those emergencies....

So today I was booked but, my man Mark was stuck in Virginia he said on his message. And when did I hear the message?
At 7:30am while sitting at the dock wondering, "where is Mark?" It's a new phone I have with so many bells and whistles on it I didn't know I had a message.

So to make a long story short. That little easterly and North Easterly blow we had on Tuesday, Wednesday, and even Thursday.

REALLY SCREWED UP A GOOD THING.

I ran down the beach, staying north of the Jax Beach Pier. And saw, not a single Pogie.
No Rays, and of course No Cobia.

I jigged a few Greenies at the jetties and fed one to a somersaulting 100 pound Spinner Shark on a light rod which no way could even slow it down. That was a 3.2 second thrill.

Why is it that as soon as the wind blows, all the Pogies end up 20 miles south of the Mayport Jetties? When we have bait that is.

Think about it for a minute. They're here. They're just over near Hanna Park. Wind blows for two days. Where are they afterwards? 20 miles south, again?
Today, that's where some were caught this morning.

I think it has something to do with the St. Johns River's influence on the area water's outside the inlet. Instinctually, the Pogies head north. Or at least it seems that way to me. So it has to be something why they always end up back south of the St Johns after a blow.

Biologists can study this fish and that fish till their face's are blue for all I care.
But if you're wondering why and how about the fish, STUDY WHAT THEY EAT, first!

When we have no bait, it's really a bad year. When we do, it's a good year. That simple.
I think everyone would agree on that.

The wind blew S.E, again in the afternoon, today. And with an incoming tide. What do I refer to that as?? K.O.D. - kiss of death. Any East wind on an incoming tide.

So tomorrow (Saturday, same tide same wind) I'm going float-rig fishing. And giving that inlet and tide, a rest. Just need to catch as much falling tide as I can very early in the morning.

We'll see.