Wednesday, July 28, 2010

7/28 - Two young anglers & big Redbass


Had a wonderful 1/2 day with Matt D. and his two young boys. They were staying up at Amelia Island, so I picked them up at the Sand Dollar restaurant across the river, from the Mayport boat ramp. No waiting, I no sooner pulled up and I could see the two boys up in the parking lot. Perfect timing.....

As soon as I met these two young anglers to be. I could tell, we were going to have a good time. So we pulled away from the dock and headed down river. No messing around. It was fishing time. I had some fresh Pogies left over from yesterday, fresh dead shrimp, and even some dead Mullet as back up cut-bait. We arrived right as the tide was changing. So I started out with the light rods and some dead shrimp, just to see what was going on. And they reeled in a small Seabass and a tiny toadfish. I told the boys, "this isn't what you're going home with under your belt. We're fishing for whoppers, just wait." 

It didn't take long, and we were in position with good current flowing and it was time to break out the "little rods that can", my 6' whoopin rods.

I believe these guys were just 6 & 9 years old, so I helped them out when the hook-ups came. But either way they felt the power of the Redbass as they head shook and ran back and forth behind the boat. When I was their age, I would have just died to do what we did today. Instead a big fish was a 2 pound Catfish at the lake near Grandma & Grandpa's house. And my fancy tackle was a hand-line with an egg sinker and a hook, with a chunk of Chicken gizzard, or earthworm pinned on it.

So all I have to say is, "the kids I take mean a lot to me. And I hope they know they are getting an extra special treat."  





















The Red's were from 10-12 pounders. And Matt got to handle the only Stingray hook-up we had. Sorry, no photos are taken of dumpster lids. Although, the Stinger sure did test out my 6' Ugly Stik.


















We had a few bites in between that we didn't connect with. And I ran into a little bit of trouble with the people who want to anchor way too close to me in full moon incoming tide. Most people out there just don't want to give an wiggle room. I'm anchored up on bottom so hard it's like blacktop. And when and if my anchor slips, I need some working room. So through ignorance or just inconsideration once I did slip on the perfect spot I was on, there was no getting back on it again, because now I had a boat right in front of me.















It was a great morning. And these two boys were a joy to have aboard the Jettywolf.


Next up:
Dad and two teenagers tomorrow. Then a 4 pak on Friday. Saturday I'm off. Then I have a dad and his 9 year old son on Sunday.