Thursday, August 26, 2010

8/26 - Change a comin', by way of wind

SATURDAY-NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT-NORTHEAST WINDS 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET.
INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY-NORTHEAST WINDS 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY NIGHT-NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

MONDAY-NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

Alrighty......we're getting into that time of year that'll hopefully flush the summer doldrums away.

Now, is the the time of year to plan. You read the word "plan" allot here, I know.

What we really need is a bunch of endless rain, so to flush the river out in conjunction with a massive tide.
I'd love to see "tea water" at the boat ramp in Mayport that's for sure. Remember T.S. Faye??? Yeah, like that.














This was caught two days after T.S. Faye in Sept of 2008, on top of the S. Jetty on a 12" live Croaker while DOA Rob and I were fishing. You've seen it before, and you'll see it again I'm sure. Because it was my heaviest Redbass ever. (53#'s) The massive freshwater flush kicked things off nicely.

















Last year there was T.S. then Hurricane Bill. Effecting N.E. Florida around the 21st and 22nd of August. Afterwards, I had my good buddy Kirk M. the "kirk-n-ator" aboard the Jettywolf for two days, on the 23rd, and then on the 26th. Our second day turned out to be "legendary" when it comes to St. Johns River Speckled Trout fishing.















Kirk and I scored no less than 100.....yes, one hundred Specks that day, along with Reds, Flounder, Jacks, Ladies, Sheepshead, and yellowmouth Trout.  Because of the rains and winds, the Trout were bottle necked up in one area. We ended up doing two trips, one in the morning, running out of live shrimp, and then another after noon, again running out of shrimp. LIKE SANDS THROUGH THE HOURS GLASS, THESE ARE THE DAYS THE JETTYWOLF LIVES FOR!


















I guess the point I'm making is, RAIN - WIND - STORMS, aren't such a bad thing this time of year. I once had a member of the Hurricane Hunter aircraft crew aboard my boat. And he told me, "think of them this way Dave. Florida needs them, they rejuvenate the land and the water. The bad thing is, no one wants one in their back yard, of course."

Yeah, kinda like Navy bases and Aircraft carriers, is what came to my mind.

So let's keep a eye on the storms this year. And don't forget, they can only make the fishing (Trout fishing) better. I'm up for that!