Saturday, October 16, 2010

10/16 - Redfish rules.....

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission wants input from sportsmen on a proposed rule that would allow possession of two redfish rather than the current limit of one — in Northeast Florida.


A workshop will be held from 6-8 p.m. Nov. 23 at the Jacksonville Public Library, southeast branch, at 10599 Deerwood Park Blvd.


Go to www.MyFWC.com/Rules, then click on "Marine Advisory Boards, Public Workshops etc."

Here's some of the "over-view".
http://www.myfwc.com/docs/CommissionMeetings/2010/2010_Sep_RedDrum_presentation.pdf


Personally, after giving this much thought. If there was to be a change, I'm opting for a "decrease in size" if two were able to be kept in N.E. Florida.

I kind of like Georgia's take on size limits:
14 inches to 23 inches and a whopping (5) per day per angler.

I'd like to see something like 16 inches to 24 inches, if we had a (2) fish per person, per day limit.

I certainly do not "take" my fair share of Redfish through out the year. Seeing that a good 90% of the fish we catch on my boat are too big. IE: Over 27 inch slot size limit.

Here's some of the Reds that have been caught in the last few weeks....and they all are too big to keep!  And we were even trying to target a keeper fish, under 27". 





































































And with that said I believe a good porttion of my customers would be happier if we could keep a Red or two. Instead of almost every single fish having to be released.

Plus personally, when I do keep a Redfish, I presently prefer a smaller one 18-21 inches. I don't want or like cleaning the 26-7/8ths inchers! Small Reds, like Trout are easier to clean, and the smaller fish fillets are just a whole lot nicer in my book.

The last Red I kept was a mere 18-1/2 inches long, and it hit the frying pan at the same time some big Croaker fillets did.

I'm a thin and crispy fried fish kinda guy.

I'm gonna try and make that "workshop" as stated at the top of this post. Nov. 23rd.
I'd hope to see others I know there as well.


- comments are welcome on this subject, and can be posted by clicking on this posts title, which will take you to it's own URL, where at the bottom of the page you can sign in to make a comment.