Sunday, December 12, 2010

12/11 - It's not how you start, it's how you finish!

Had Sandra and Shawn aboard  the Jettywolf today. Shawn is in from San Diego, visiting mom before he heads over to Iraq for a year. So the boy deserves some serious fishing time! And that's what I wanted him to have.

We didn't depart till 11am. It was all about the tide, during a Noreaster. High tide around 12-1:00PM made for a tough call. So I figured we'd Trout fish on the last of the rising tide.  I didn't like it, but it was the plan.


We hit a spot and gave the floats and live shrimp a whirl. The current was too fast....I knew it would be. But we'd just have to see what would happen. And not much happened at all. A buddy was anchored near us, and all he caught was one Bluefish. As we caught nothing. Giving it a genuine shot, and enough time for the current to get near anything a trout feeds in would take too long. So after an hour or so, we split. And headed for the big rocks.

As we headed eastward, the frothier the river water got. And by the time we were at the tip of the Jetties Sandra's eye's were getting wide. The big swells were making surfing size waves at the tip of the North Jetty, and Sandra says, "were not going over there are we?" I said, "No, but it's always worth a look out here at the end ."

She was a little timid about anchoring up in the slop-chop. So I backed off and moved to the inside of the jetties and away from the end of the rocks. 

Pitching my concrete block anchor over the side, we stuck into the rocks perfectly. The only problem was the tide was not falling just yet.

I told Sandra and Shawn, that this boat was built with nothing more than these Jetties in mind. And over the last 4 years we've sat in some seriously nasty slop, and we caught them all alone. Because no one else would anchor in what we were anchored in. People can "poo-poo" welded 1/4" plate aluminum all they want, I don't care. But it works for me, anyone who fishes aboard it, soon comes to realize how sweet  it is.

So we sat, waiting on the falling tide. The wind was blowing, the water was all chopped up and the current was about non-existent.

 










Then, as the tide just started to make it's way east, Sandra sticks a nice Sheepie. And I'm thinking were gonna be in the meat now.
















But other than a few small seabastards, the current started moving and we kept going with heavier sinkers. It all just felt wrong. But the current was driving down the chop. Sandra was happy and saw the choppy water, was no biggy. So I drug up my block anchor in one piece and made a 100 foot move. To where I originally wanted to anchor, but didn't.

And that was all she wrote.....




























































































The sloppiness of the water was calming down, and with many times when the tide changes, the wind dropped. We were kicking Black Drum butt, and momma was happy her boy was bending an Ugly Stik, as she was too.















I even caught one and shared a "double-header" with Shawn.
















Our "token" Redbass, at 29 inches and full of fight.





















The action was HOT! And we kept 4 drum total out of ten. two smaller ones and two at 8-10 pounds, plus the Sheepshead. Which was more than enough. We probably could have filled every cooler on the boat, but that's a waste.
















The low sun peered out,from behind the clouds, the river slicked out completely and it was nearing time to head in so I had light to clean fish by.





















Then, Shawn caught the last Drum. And it had the worst case of "bends" I have ever seen. It's intestines blew out a foot! I don't know why Black Drum do this. But I guess it's something to do with them living on the bottom and deep most of their lives. Never seen a creek Drum do this though. But at the Jetties, they get "butt-blow-out" all the time.

I guess, it's a Black Drum thing.

So, we headed in on slick calm waters.
  
As I put the boat on the trailer, I looked west and saw this wonderful deep fall sunset, the perfect ending to a perfect day.

And even thought it was a slow start.....it's all about how you finish.
Remember that Sandra..."cause I got ya covered."