Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer bummer, gotta head North:

Okay, I thought we were back into the Big Redbass.....because last Thursday it was twin 35 pounders as our first two fish. Jason L. scored after never catching a Redfish before. So what a way to put that "no Redfish" thing to rest.

Well, I fished with Mike G. and family/freinds on Saturday 6/11. It was a full boat charter. First thing was go get big "RB" bait. The jetties were slop city. East winds blowing and where were the pogies? I couldn't find them. So I called Dennis Young  on the VHF and he said he got plenty way out to the SE of the second set of twin bouys. So we slopped through the 4 foot seas and went and got the 20, I needed to get our day started.

To make a long story short, we fished hard up in the river because the jetties inside were UN-fishable. Three areas later not s single bite from any big Reds. Literally, 48 hours later and they were gone from where I caught them before. The east winds blowing in our face all day had me very uneasy. It just didn't feel right at all. Wind buckin' the tide. I don't like that.

So, today (Monday) we headed out. I had the Baker crew. The reds were, (key word: "were") chewing so good on the rising tide. So this morning a grabbed a ole box of cigar minnows and headed to the spot. If they are chewin' it doesn't have to be pogies as bait. Well, we fished and never had a single bite.

We headed to the jetties to look for some pogies. Didn't see any. (of course they become scarce, every weekend is a Kingfish tournament from here on out) But right at the tip of the north rocks I saw a huge school of Mullet. So I stalked them and threw the net and got about 15 really nice Mullet.

We anchored at the north jetty and immediately, two live mullet down got slammed! One fish broke the leader and another came loose of the 7/0 circle hook. And only bites after that were Bluefish chewing off the tails of the Mullet.

So we concentrated on  just fishing live shrimp on the bottom for Whiting. The guys had to fight the full moon tide that was racing between the jetties, using 6 ounces to just hit bottom. They couldn't feel any bites but did manage a few Whiting.

The west wind was kicking, the tide was falling and the boat was slipping on anchor. I use 55 pounds worth of grapnel hook anchor and chain....what does this river want me to do. Use 150 pounds and 1000 foot of rode in 32 feet. The St. Johns is a relentless river, and does nothing but try my patience all summer long.

Then, a good bite.....a Pompano!!
















SIX OUNCES of lead, smoking current and 32 feet deep. Not what you'd think would be Pompano Country.

Then, another!





















As the anchor slipped and slipped we ended up in a decent spot. Richards rod bobbed  and he set the hook...."Oh it's something little" he said. I grabbed the net and looked at his reel and said "then why's the drag ripping out?" It turned out to be a really nice Black Drum in the 22-23" catagory. I NEVER GOT A PHOTO OF IT. Because I was way too busy pulling and dragging anchor.

The tide got absolutely ludicris. When 6 ounce leads won't stay on the bottom it's time to leave. We headed back down river and tried again for a Big Red with the Mullet and never had a sniff...."where did they go?"

The only consistent thing is that it's inconsistent.

So, tomarrow Tuesday I'm heading for the first time to Nassua Sound where Mother Nature really likes to kick my butt. I have Richard H and his son aboard. AND WE NEED SOME KIND OF ACTION! And I'm hoping that we'll see some up there.

I'm not sure I can take much more of that river. I need some shallow water fishing, my back needs some shallow water, a lighter anchor and some bent rods, no matter what it is.  It's one hell of a long ride up to the sound, but I hope it's worth it.

Don't know when these reds will come back, or when a Kingfish or even a Shark will show up behind the shrimpers. I hear stories about sharks and shrimp boats, but  I don't care about "hear-say".