Sunday, November 6, 2011

11/5 - More wind.

Damn, what's going on with this wind? This is now weekend #2, with gusts to gale force. Was out on Saturday morning. Had a "two hour kids trip". Had Sean, his wife, his 4 year old son, and his 6 year old daughter. Who looked to be the future angler of the group. From what I saw at the boat ramp, I was the only "charter" out there, today.

We deaparted at 9am. Yeah it was windy, cold and as the tide fell against the N.E. winds the river got good and choppy. The kids caught some Croakers, Seabass, Pinfish, and Piggy Perch at the first spot. But the wind was whipping the boat back and forth really good. So we ran to Atlantic ship yard to get out of the wind, and and there we couldn't get a single bite, with just plain ole dead shrimp on small hooks.......which seemed impossible.  So I moved around quickly, as time is of the essence with these trips. Still nothing. So we finished up the trip driving by the mega-yachts that are sitting along the docks there. The kids jus' made it, before starting to whine.

My biggest worry was for Sunday. Have had it booked with folks from out of town for weeks now. And of course they had one day and one day only to fish.

I watched the NOAA forecast intensely.......and yeah it changed from N.E. 20K for Sunday, back to what it was earlier in the week. Morning rain, and gusts to gale force!  Given the chance, my Sunday clients decided to postpone the trip to a later date.

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY EVENING
NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO
GALE FORCE. SEAS 10 TO 15 FEET SUBSIDING TO 9 TO 12 FEET DURING THE
AFTERNOON. INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

I keep looking ahead for a day during the week that I can go up to the St. Marys river jetties and trout fish. I certainly don't want to go to a new area with any wind over 10 knots. I want a decent day with the only challenge being "fish a new area".