Friday, December 16, 2011

12/16 - The NEED to go CATCHING is strong.

Well, after yesterdays absolute "wack & stack session" aboard Doc's Century. I had to go fishing again. The weather couldn't get much nicer. So Doc Miller headed out with me again, this time we took my Jettywolf.  Overcast, warm and as the weatherman says........LIGHT & VARIABLE. Yes, the two favorite weather words in the winter time is Light and Variable....meaning the WIND.  And L&V usually means the LACK of!!

One spot, a livewell full of frisky river crickets (shrimp), have "float-rigs" will travel, we headed due east. And that's where we "wacked & stacked" all over again.  Just like yesterday, my first four drifts of my float-rig produced fish.

IT WAS INSANE!

I had a Redbass and a Trout in the frst two drifts of my float, I know that. Cause I was as giddy as a teenage girl, on her sweet sixteen, and I couldn't help it.

As I'll keep repeating till winter's over and the heat starts pouring on again......"IT JUS' DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN RIGHT NOW!   I LIVE FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR." 

Today, last year (2010) at sun-up it was 24 degrees in Mayport. It was a record cold year, if you remember. And live and breath in J-ville, Florida. And even then, I recorded and remember heading out with my buddy Doc Miller this same week and we caught no less than 50 big fat Trout along that "stinkin eye sore " called the Mayport Navy Base, where you are not allowed to fish near....this year.

So, nothings changed so far. Except last year by late January the "inshore fishing" became almost futile we had so many record cold mornings below freezing.

Every morning I listen to the NOAA weather radio broadcast, and that's where they'll tell you the temp last year on today's date.

So, needless to say we killed the big fat Trout, with Doc and I both getting Specks over 22 inches each, some Redbass, a whole lot of fat Yellowmouths, and Sheepshead.

JUST FLOAT-RIG FISHING, ONE SPOT.....WE WERE DONE AND FILLED A 98QT. COOLER BY NOON.

BUT WE DIDN'T EVEN LEAVE THE DOCK TILL 9:30AM.......WHICH WAS THE KICKER.

Here's the pics I took.

First Hour......"I said they were on fire".