Sunday, February 12, 2012

2/11 - RED FACED FISHING....

Had regular Ed B. and his two sons and his two friends aboard today. YEAH, today!

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING...

SATURDAY
NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INLAND WATERS CHOPPY.
 
I knew it was gonna be a real trial of patience, especially with five people aboard. We no sooner got to the jetties and started dropping to the bottom and 6 ounces wouldn't even hold the bottom..........UHG!!!!!!!!
 
The NW winds were whipping, so I went over to the other side of the inlet to get the wind and current at least going the same direction.
 
And no matter where I was the bottom fishing just wasn't going to happen. And as it turned out it was pretty darn cold out there as the "FRONT" pushed in. Ed's boys weren't even really fishing that much. I decided to just "bottom bump" because I figured it would be easier for everyone aboard, since I usually (especially when the winds honking) can't float-rig more than two lines out the stern.
 
But as it turned out...."we could have float-rigged!!"  It surely would have more exciting.
 
That's the thing about that kind of fishing. You'll always get some kind of action. Especially in the winter.
 
I saw some guys float-rigging and they were scoring some yellowmouths at least. While we only caught three small ones, a ton of the 6" Seabass, several clear nosed Rays, a Spiney Box fish, and one Whiting.
 
I must have pulled anchor 20 times and moved around, or picked up anchor as wthe wind snatched it free from the bottom.
Whewww...and my "H.D." anchor and chain weights in at 50+ pounds and still wouldn't hold us the wind was so fierce.
 
Red faced, cold and of course I was frustrated. We packed it in and headed through some big swells to get inside the inlet from the outside and ran back to the dock around 1pm.
 
There's NO WAY, that we could go all winter long without some kind of serious cold and wind. It was only a matter of time. Heck it's February!
 
Of course I was Pre-Booked for Sunday. And that's what the wind was blowing in on Saturday, ARTIC COLD!
Yep, 29-30 degrees at my house in the morning. And still alot of wind. So Sunday's  two passenger trip has been rescheduled till later in the month.
 
Which so far is my ONLY second reschedule of the winter season. Last one was back in October. Which goes to show ya, it's been a very nice winter, so far.