Sunday, July 8, 2012

7/8 - Jus' 5%

As usual during the summer I like to keep as much fuel in my boats tamk as I can.

WHY?

Because I haven't a clue of what I'll be doing from week to week or day to day. Because summer fishing is just so wacky.
-One day I'm in the river, with a boat load of 6 year olds hunting Croaka's
-The next day I'm travelling damn near to the mathews bridge in search of Speckley bastards.
-Then, the next day I'm at nassua Sound.

So, I don't know if anyone ever visits my YOUTUBE channel. (via the link on the side bar of this BLOG.)


I even did a few video's about testing the ETHANOL content of the fuel "we're" buying on the street.
This couldn't be more important than in the intense heat of the summer. Lots of expansion going on in your fuel tank, because of the heat. Mine, being an aluminum tank in an aluminum boat, in 83 degree water may actually not be as bad as the glass boats. Because the aluminum bottoom of the boat quickly takes on the temp of the surrounding water. (?)

But, as in the video's. I TEST MY FUEL!

Last fill-up (almost 100 gallons) the fuel at the Exxon at Atlantic and Girvin roads, was a solid 10% Ethanol. Which is OKAY. Your engine is most likey made to run on it. But at the same time, as you've probably read. Ethanol is like a sponge and soaks up moisture.

So keep a close check on your Fuel-Water seperator filters. I have two, a RACOR, and another under my cowling.
I also treat my fuel with STAR-TRON. Heck, I don't really know if the stuff is "snake oil" or for real. But it's pretty cheap at Northern Tool on Atlantic Blvd, with the coupons I get in the mail.

Today, I went and filled her up (almost) again. At the same Exxon, and tested the fuel again as usual.

Jus' 5% today.  5% ETHANOL, not even the 10% allowed by law.  So, that a good thang!