Saturday, November 2, 2013

10/31 - All Hallow's Eve, Getting Jiggy.

On Halloween, I had the pleasure of having Chuck aboard the Jettywolf. Yep, a "solo" angler and I.
Chuck was from Wyoming. And an avid fisherman.

To mix it up a bit, I figured we'd go super LT. and jig fish the jetties in the morning. Chuck used a jig-n-shrimp combo meal, and I used a jig and Avacado colored Matrix Shad.

First fish, I connected too was a "pup" sized Black Drum....ON THE MATRIX SHAD soft plastic.

THIS WAS THE 2ND BLACK DRUM I HAVE EVER CAUGHT ON A ARTIFICIAL IN MY LIFE!
THE LAST ONE WAS IN MILL COVE BACK TEN YEARS AGO.


























It's super strange that I watch all those Louisiana Video's and TV shows, and they catch Black Drum "CONSISTENTLY" on jigs and soft plastics over there. Fish boxes full of them.

BUT WE DON'T......again. Must be one of those bazarro world things that makes the East Coast Atlantic 180 degrees from the Gulf of Mexico fishery.


























Chuck and I had Black Margates, Yellowmouth Trout, some small Redfish, larger Mangrove Snappers.
Chuck hooked a "super Azz hander" and was getting spooled before whatever it was broke his line in the jetty rocks fraying the 20# leader.

Then, he caught a nice keeper Redfish, at 25 inches.



























Then, as the tide faded, we tried the float-rig fishing on the falling tide with live shrimp for the ever illusive Speckled trout up in the river. NO matter where we went (as the wind blew hard) all we did was feed very expensive live shrimp to the "SCOURGE FISH" that are oh so present in our over salty so called river.......3" mangrove snappers & pinfish!!!!!!!!

Which, if the salinity was a 5PPT (parts per thousand) versus a 28PPT, I'm sure those Sea water scourge species wouldn't be as present.

So it was futile to try Float-rigging, that's for sure. The forecast for EASTWARD Trout will probably be between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Which is WEEKS & WEEKS late.

Same reason, the Big Redbass weren't thru the roof for me in Sept-Oct. But right now are in actual Full Swing at the jetties.

And that's fine. Because I don't like fishing the river anyhow. It pains me to have to go up in the river compared the BIG rocks, this time of year.