Sunday, March 25, 2018

3/25 - Oh how the weatherman missed it this one!

Fished a 1/2 day on Saturday and it was just too nice!  Yeah too nice. A few Trout, a few Whiting and that was it.

Today on Sunday it was blowing like all hell from the west. Not a great direction. and at least hard enough to make the ocean a soup sandwich. The Jetties were miserable.

Had Del & Carlos aboard. We fished for Whiting for some fish fry fillets and I kept moving all over trying to find larger ones, like on Friday. But no dice in all that west wind.

So after 12-15 worth keeping we went up in the river from the jetties.

Broke out the really "special baits" and bottom fished to see about a Drum or Redfish, on the same spot where we just caught the 30 pounder on Friday.

Well, we had a decent bite as the tide slowed, but no hook-up. Then we got another.




















see that ship in the far distance?  here comes trouble!




















Del got to fight this fish on my Jigging Master WIKI reel. Level wind, lever drag, MEGA awesome, MEGA expensive reel!!

But as he started to get the fish off the bottom, and it was really big, a security boat came over to us and said, ''you have to move, that ship is coming right in here.'' We were so busy, none of us even saw it. I started the motor, pulled forward as Del fought the fish, pulled the anchor a bit. The Del had the fish boat side,  I lip gaffed it. dropped the fish on the deck, finished pulling the anchor up, just as two tugs were moving this ship towards us!!!!!






































we got out of the way just in time, I guess. And we got what we came for!







































the Black Drum crushed my 30 pound boga-grip scale, but I estimated it at approx. 50 POUND range.








































It took a little while to recoup, as we had to move around to find a place in the wind and current to get these photos, clean up, pack everything up, and head in to clean yet again a super ''clean'' parasite free Drum. 

Again, the Makita one-handed reciprocating saw, with a 12 inch FILLETZALL scalloped blade made short work of this big momma!


Del, hopefully will send me a lot more photos and maybe even video of the cleaning/fillet job, that if I wasn't on TEAM FILLETZALL, I wouldn't have wanted to even mess with these big Drum.  But, because I am using them, on these very 'clean' Black Drum my customers can take home their catch and cook up the fish. 


I'M SUPER BOOKED-UP, AND HAVE NO WEEKENDS AVAILABLE FOR AWHILE, LET ALONE MANY WEEKDAYS.  SO, I'M INTO MID APRIL NOW. SO GET WITH ME ASAP FOR ANY WEEKEND DATES.

904-642-9546  EMAIL: CHARTER@CAPTDAVES.COM