Sunday, March 15, 2009

3/14 - I thought Spring was here....

Had Perry Z. and his two buddies aboard, Stu and Richard.

They came down to the boat ramp and couldn't find me in the FOG.




And as I said to a guy at the boat ramp,
"this is an anomaly, FOG and high winds!"


The fella said, "isn't this par for the course?" I replied, "Well, usually when we have FOG this thick, it's really calm and no wind."

The North East wind was honkin'.
And to make things just a bit more drastic, it was super wet and C-O-L-D, too!


As Perry and the guys walked down the ramp, I said, "Man, ya should have seen the weather earlier this week." And they were a bit shocked because they too listened to the weather and they heard something about 70 something degrees. But they knew it was nicer earlier in the week, too.

Stu was in shorts and windbreaker, and I was so glad I haven't taken my winter wardrobe out of my truck, just yet.

I not only had on a long-sleeved T-shirt, but my Grundens fleece fisherman's jacket, and my Grundens wind stopper fleece pants over my shorts.

I had a feeling this radical weather change wasn't gonna be good for anyone, let alone me and my guys.

So we headed on the rising tide to a spot where as the tide comes up, I've been catching some Reds and Trout for over a week.

We actually can get on the spot, no problem. And as we fish I look ahead of us and there's 4 boats, and then some dude in a little boat pulls right up behind us within casting range and drops his anchor. Boats attract, boats is the rule.

The tides really nice, and we have great current. As I show the guys how to float-rig fish the area. And we get two small sized Specks. No other bites at all, no lost baits, no anything.

We ended up making a move and worked hard to really get something going. Even heading to the jetties and fishing there when it was "all wrong".

Then, I switched to bottom fishing. "Ya' know somethings really wacky when I break out the up and down rods."

After multitudes of spots we finally got into some Yellowmouth Trout, and small Bluefish (THEY'RE HERE, UGH!).

The fog never went away, and the temperature didn't change all that much.

It was just the day of the front. Because as I write this report on Sunday. The weather is beautiful. Sunny, 80 degrees, a light breeze maybe. But a thousand times better than Saturday.

This weeks forecast for my Monday & Tuesday 2 passenger, discount:

MONDAY: SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.INLAND WATERS A LIGHT AFTERNOON CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDER STORMS.

TUESDAY: NORTHEAST WINDS 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO3 TO 5 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.