Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What a March, so far

The trees are blooming. Pollen is covering everything. The grass and weeds in my yard need to be cut. People are already talking about the Cobia and Tripletail down south, heading this way.

And the Jettywolf, cannot get a "BREAK".

Since March 1st, I've sat attempting to get it done in 25 knot N.E. winds, 20 SW winds,  New Moon screaming tides.

So sick of it all Sunday, I had Kenneth H. and his buddy Derrick. We literally fished 45 minutes, and I said, "fellas, lets pack it up and try again a few weeks from now." 

Then, on Monday I had a 4 person trip. The winds were LIGHT at NE 15 knots, all day. But my crew was frozen because it felt like 30 degrees out at the jetties at 8am, and maybe 40 later in the afternoon in the river. And talk about a struggle. Not only did I have to try and satisfy 4 people. But the gamefish took the day off.  We fished deep, shallow, and inbetween and only had undesireables. Starting with a 2-1/2 foot Eel!!

Even float-rig fished. But that didn't change anything.

Water temps are hovering in the 60 degree range now. And I look forward to getting better days.
--------------------------------------------------

Heading the the weld shop this morning. Having a customization done to my boat. All in preparation for this summer and $4.00 plus a gallon fuel prices......as if $3.50 isn't bad enough!

Been planning this for about two years. Having an Austrialian style "chum chopper",  or as they call it a "Burley Bucket" welded into my stern platform.

No summer trolling. Won't be affordable.

So with my Burley Bucket, I'll be able to drift and chum or anchor up and chum. And not burn as much fuel.

Had a plastic "Braid Chum-mate" on the stern of my old boat for 10 years. And have always wanted a welded in one on my Alloy boat....Because I can! 

Permanant, and larger than what I had before. Just like they have in Austrialia. Those folks down yonder are real innovators in "practicality".  Unlike here in the U.S. where it seems to be all about...."look at me and my pretty boat." Rather than truely functional fishing machines.

I'll post a photo when complete.

Weather this week isa crap shoot, anyhow.....

TUESDAY: EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

TONIGHT: EAST WINDS 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. INLAND
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

WEDNESDAY: SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INLAND WATERS CHOPPY.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT:  SOUTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS
AFTER MIDNIGHT.

THURSDAY:  WEST WINDS 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET SUBSIDING
TO 2 TO 3 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. NUMEROUS
SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE MORNING.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW...here's a story of, "ONLY IN AMERICA".
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/16/eveningnews/main20032336.shtml

Who's really the criminals?
 answer:  the U.S. Government!