Thursday, May 5, 2011

5/5 - BIG WIND, BIG SEAS

My UPS delivery man didn't know it was windy today. My mother did know it was windy today. But holy cow was the wind a serious problem. I read the marine forecast, and didn't think that when it read; NE WINDS 15 KNOTS that this meant sustained and unrelenting.

That's why it was so cool. We had that NY air blowing down here. Certainly didn't mind the air temp one bit. But 15 knot never ending wind wasn't what I thought we were getting into.

The inlet was a "soup sandwich....Pea soup, between white bread all the way."

Had Keith from Atlantic beach and Andrew from Indiana on board today. Both have been out on the Jettywolf before. But nothing like this.

We had no current today, no matter where we tried, no matter what I did. The rising tide was a real SOB. Starting at the jetties, no bites and whitewater. Add one ship after another, coming by.


Then, we looked for Pogies, I found them on the inside tip of the south. Right where it was rolling about 6 foot back to back.
No luck, gave up and headed up river.

Fished and fished and fished, with a few miniscule bites in deeper water with hard bottom. When the tide finally turned and started to drop we made a move to a spot where I've got plenty of over sized Redfish. The wind would not let me get where I wanted.


And we finally caught a Whiting! And it ate a half a dead Pogie I tried for bait.












Disgusted and wind burnt, we packed it in. While, today Momma Nature won. And at the same time reminded me why I call a rising tide and NE hard wind. The K.O.D. - "the kiss of death". Yeah, that's a bit over dramatic. But at least that's how I feel. It's so hard to win with that weather/tide combo.

Working on my teleflex hydaulic steering, once again Friday, so I can be ready for ??who knows what?? on Saturday.

Gawd I hope so:
SATURDAY - NORTH WINDS 10 KNOTS BECOMING EAST LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.